Do you need to replace the windows for your home? Here are five things to consider when getting new windows:
- A more expensive window isn’t always better. According to a leading consumer magazine, a costly window didn’t do a better job at keeping out cold air and was OK at blocking rain. Other less expensive windows, including a vinyl window, scored high in their testing.
- Decide the material of your windows. You can get windows made from vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, or wood. If you have an older home, wood windows might be your best choice since they may match your house’s style. If you want a window that needs less maintenance and doesn’t need to be painted, vinyl windows are a good option — and they cost less than other materials. If you can pay a little more, and want more durable windows, fiberglass composite windows might make sense.
- Choose the type of window glass based on where you live. If you live where it gets very cold, you may want to think about getting triple-pane windows which provide the best insulation against the cold. If you live on a noisy street, double and triple-pane windows will give you better sound insulation.
- Check the R-values of windows when shopping. The R-value tells how energy efficient a window is. A higher number means a window is better an insulating your home. For example, a single-pane window has a rating of 1 and triple-pane windows can range from 5 to 7 R-values.
- Choose a style that matches your home. If you have an older home, a window with a classic design might look better than a modern style window.
If you live in the Buffalo or Rochester area, then visit Window Factory Outlet for a large selection of windows to match your budget and style. For a free estimate, visit our website.